Study in the UK: United Kingdom Student Visa Requirements

Study in the UK: United Kingdom Student Visa Requirements
January 19, 2023

The UK is a country that is blessed with some of the best institutions for higher education. They are among the world's top-ranked universities, so thousands of students from all over the world want to pursue their higher education through overseas education. However, obtaining a visa to study in the UK can be a difficult task for students who don't know about the correct procedure for applying for a visa and hence end up making crucial mistakes and getting rejected.

As you prepare to Study abroad in the UK, there is a lot to learn. Depending on your field of study and where you plan on attending school, different student visa categories are available to you. For instance, colleges and universities will generally require a Tier 4 student visa, while private language schools might ask for an IS course student visa. So, to resolve all these queries, Eduversal Global is here to help you and will give you all your answers.

Benefits of-Studying-in-uk

What is a Student Visa?

You can apply for this type of visa if you are going to study at a college or university and will be in the UK for at least 12 months. The process for applying for a student visa can vary depending on where you live, but in general, all you need to do is fill out an application form and provide supporting documentation. The application form is available from your local British Embassy or Consulate abroad or from the home office website.

Once your application has been received by the Home Office, they will send it off to the Immigration Service Center (ISC), where it will be processed. In most cases, this takes around 60 days. If you’re applying for a child or parent visa, then this process can take up to six months as well.

When applying for a student visa, you will need to prove that you have sufficient funds to cover your living costs while here in the UK. This can be accomplished through bank statements or letters from financial institutions stating that they can provide financing for your stay in the UK (this does not always imply that they will).

Types of Study Visa in the UK

General Student Visa

The general student visa is issued to students who are over 18 years of age, have completed their secondary education, and want to continue their studies at a higher level in the UK. To apply for this type of visa, you need to complete an online form and submit it along with all required documents. The application process usually takes about 3–4 weeks from the date of submission of your application.

A student may be eligible for this type of visa if they have a full course of study at a UK-recognised institution, or if they have completed at least 3 months of study in the UK. This type of visa is usually valid for 12 months and can be extended for another year if you wish to remain in the country after your studies have finished. Once your course has finished, you must leave the country within 14 days and present yourself at the border checkpoint with your passport, proof of residence, and a document proving that your course has ended.

Child Student Visa

A child student visa allows you to bring your children from your home country with you while studying in the UK at a British university or college. The age limit varies depending on the type of institution you wish to study at and its eligibility criteria. Under certain conditions, the maximum number of children allowed for this type of visa is two.

The child student visa allows you to work during the period when you are studying, although some universities may restrict this right. You cannot change courses or stop your studies once you have started them; however, you can leave the country from any airport and return when it suits you best.

The child student visa is designed for children under 18 years old who wish to join their parents or guardians in the UK on a student visa. You can also apply for this type of visa if you plan on enrolling in courses at a college or other educational institution in the UK. The child student visa is valid for one year, and you must apply every year after your initial application has been processed by British authorities.

Short-Term Student Visa

This is a temporary visa designed for students who want to study at a university or college for up to 12 months. If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate student who has already been accepted to your course, you can apply for this visa. You’ll also need to show that you have enough money to support yourself while studying in the UK.

This is for those who want to come to the UK for a short period and then leave. It allows you to study at a university or college, and it also allows you to work part-time if you have permission from the Home Office. This type of visa is usually issued for one year or less, although some may be granted for up to two years if required. The maximum duration is five years.

Visitor Visa

This type of visa is valid for up to six months and allows non-EU citizens to visit the UK unsupervised. It's often used by tourists, but some people use it as an opportunity to look around at different universities during their stay. Before applying, it's important that you speak with a representative from the Home Office about what will be expected of you while in the UK on this type of visa.

This category is for those who want to visit Britain but do not want to stay long-term. It allows them to come into the country and look around, but they cannot apply for jobs or get married while they’re here. The visitor visas are issued according to your nationality and how long you plan on staying in the country. They can last from three months up to six months in total, with a maximum duration of two years.

student visa-requirements-for-the-uk

Requirements for the United Kingdom Student Visa Application

The application process begins with filling out the online form at their official website. After doing so, applicants will be required to submit their documents and photographs. These include:

  • A copy of your passport with a photo page
  • Proof that you are a citizen of your country of origin, preferably your birth certificate or passport
  • Transcripts from all previously attended institutions (if applicable)
  • Two letters of recommendation from teachers and employers, as well as any other relevant documents (i.e., diploma, degree certificate).

Eduversal Global Is Calling You!

If you want to learn more about studying in Canada or Australia, Eduversal Global can help. Eduversal Global is a leading education consultancy firm and UK visa consultancy with experience helping people achieve their education goals. If you are looking for the best universities that lead to quality higher education and provide high job prospects, we can help you. Our consultants advise students on the UK Tier 4 student visa and foundation program, Tier 4 visa and work permit applications, UK Tier 2 employment permit, Tier 2 general visit visa applications, English for Academic Purposes (EAP), F-1 students studying abroad, and other key initiatives.

Connect With Us


Subscribe to receive the latest blog updates and our newsletters.